Harvard WorldMap is an online, open source mapping platform developed to lower barriers for scholars who wish to explore, visualize, edit, and publish geospatial information. The system attempts to address the gap between desktop GIS which is generally light on collaboration, and web-based mapping systems which often don't support the inclusion of large datasets.
WorldMap allows anyone to:
- Upload layers overlay them with thousands of other layers
- Create and edit maps and link map features to media content
- Publish data to the world or to just a few collaborators
- Export data to standard interoperable formats
- Make use of online cartographic tools for symbolizing layers
- Georeference paper maps online using Mapwarper.net.